On this page you can find out everything you need to know about Functional Skills, from what they are, to how they are assessed.
What are they?
Functional Skills Qualifications have been designed to help young people and adults develop practical skills in English, Mathematics and Information and Communication Technology (ICT).
The qualifications are often a central part of a learner’s programme of study. They form a key part of apprenticeships and are also often studied alongside many college based vocational learning.
What's more, these subjects are frequently cited by employers as being those which place the most importance when recruiting staff.
At Open Awards we offer a full suite of Functional Skills qualifications including Entry 1,2 and 3 and Level 1 and 2.
We have a full range of sample assessments available for centres and prospective centres.
- Flexible Delivery - On-screen and paper-based assessment options at Level 1 and Level
- Relevant Assessment Papers - Assessments use topics based on real-life functional situations
Free Sample Assessments - Full range of sample assessments available
- Quick Turnaround for Results - Externally marked assessments are provided within 26 days, moving to 16 days following our launch period
- E-Certificate - Flexible certification options
Click on the links below to access the relevant Qualification Guide.
How are they assessed?
At all levels learners must successfully complete externally set assessments in order to achieve the qualification.
- At Levels 1 and 2, assessments are externally marked by us. Maths and English exams can be taken either on-screen or paper-based (a per assessment supplement is payable for paper-based). ICT can be taken on-screen only. The only exception to this is the English Speaking Listening and Communication assessment which is internally administered.
- At Entry Level, assessments are internally marked and internally verified using guidance provided by us.
How can I offer Functional Skills with Open Awards?
Full details and guidance on offering Functional Skills with us can be found on our Functional Skills Centres’ page.
If you are new to working with Open Awards then give us a call on 0151 494 2072 and we will talk you through options for centre approval. If are already an Open Awards centre you can also give us a call, submit a Functional Skills New Qualification Form via the Portal or contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org