EQA - Explosive Operatives
RESPONSIBLE TO: Head of Quality and Standards
SALARY: £250 per day/ £35 per hour
Open Awards offers a range of specialist qualifications to help meet our company ethos to Change Lives Through Learning. We are looking for a sector expert to externally quality assure the work of approved providers delivering the following qualifications:
- Open Awards Level 2 Award / Certificate / Diploma in Skills for Explosive Operatives
The primary purpose of this qualification is to support learners to progress to, or in the role of an Explosive Operative. The qualification was designed with employers and industry leaders to provide learners with knowledge and skills for the logistics and processing of Explosive Substances and Articles (ESA). For those already in employment, this qualification will contribute to learners continued professional development and productivity in the workplace.
The Level 2 award qualification requires the completion of 1 mandatory unit. The certificate and diploma qualifications include mandatory units as well as a range of optional units concentrating on subject specific skills and knowledge.
Assessment is by a portfolio of evidence which is based on coursework including videos / photographs, evidence of practical activities, reflective journals, question and answers and recorded professional discussions.
The qualifications are available for delivery across the UK and internationally. External quality assurance is expected to take place remotely with learner evidence available via SharePoint.
- To confirm that the delivery and assessment of the course is appropriate and that the assessment strategy employed is appropriate and conforms to Open Awards’ specifications as set out in the Qualification Guide
- To confirm that all recommendations for the award of credit have been subjected to a rigorous internal verification process that meets the minimum published requirements of the awarding organisation (See Open Awards Provider Handbook for guidance)
- To make recommendations for improvement and to support an ethos of continuous quality improvement
- To report all findings to Open Awards, using the appropriate report format, and in language that is appropriate to its audience, i.e. Heads of Organisations, Quality Managers, Assessors
- Attend/contribute to Open Awards training and standardisation events as required
Skills and Experience Required:
- Relevant sector specialist knowledge
- Recent experience of working for, or with, employers in the sector
- A sound understanding of assessment
- Recent experience of internal or external quality assurance of Ofqual-regulated qualifications
- The ability to produce excellent reports to agreed deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven organisational ability
- A commitment to equal opportunities and widening participation
- Excellent attention to detail
Key requirements, knowledge, skills and experience:
- Recent experience in external quality assurance
- Subject sector specialist knowledge and qualifications
- Able to work unsupervised in a timely manner
- Adhere to our customer service standards
- Able to obtain buy-in to suggested/mandatory actions required to maintain compliance
This position is on a self-employed basis and we consider our payment structure to be in line with industry average.
Please note that appointment to the bank of external quality assurers does not necessarily guarantee that work will be available in any particular year.
Please send a CV and a covering letter detailing your relevant skills, knowledge and experience to email@example.com. If you would like to know more about the role, please contact Andrew Bardsley, Head of Quality and Standards, 07494857290.