Skip to content
Keywords e.g. warehousing
Qualification Code e.g. 600/5640/X
Keywords e.g. warehousing
Unit Code e.g. Y/505/4889
Open Awards Unit ID e.g. CBF498
Keywords e.g. warehousing
Open Awards Unit Code e.g. UA33ART12
Open Awards Unit ID e.g. CBF521

EPA FAQs

The Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) funds apprentices to achieve qualifications in English or maths (or both), if they do not already meet the minimum requirements for certification.

The ESFA document listing current and prior qualifications accepted as meeting the minimum English and maths requirements for apprenticeships at level 2 and above can be found here. This document also identifies what the ESFA deems Acceptable Evidence of qualification achievement that Open Awards can accept.

If you would like more information about Open Awards Functional Skills qualifications in maths and English, please click here or contact us on 0151 494 2072 or enquiries@openawards.org.uk. 

This will depend on which assessment component it is, and the requirements of the specific Standard. 

Many of Open Awards assessments, including multiple-choice knowledge tests, can be taken remotely. Please see the Standard EPA Handbook for more information or contact us on enquiries@openawards.org.uk to talk about your specific scenario. 

The cost will depend on the apprenticeship Standard your apprentices are registered on. Please see the individual Standard information for more information.

There is no cost to signing up with Open Awards to deliver end-point assessments with you. We charge a nominal registration fee of 5% of the overall cost, with the remaining 95% payable when your apprentice reaches gateway.  

You can contact the team on 0151 494 2072 or enquiries@openawards.org.uk to talk through the services we offer and see if they are right for you and your apprentices.

If you know you want to use Open Awards to deliver your end-point assessments, please complete the expression of interest form. A member of the team will contact you to talk you through your requirements and discuss next steps. 

No, there are no minimum number of apprentices or assessments required. We are set up to support employers with 1 apprentice, or employers with hundreds of apprentices. Please contact us on 0151 494 2072 or enquiries@openawards.org.uk to talk through your requirements with the team? 

We offer resits and retakes for apprentices who fail their assessment. The number available will be in line with the requirements of the specific apprenticeship Standard. Feedback will be given to help you prepare your learner for their resit or retake. 

The majority of assessments will take place in the apprentices workplace. The exception to this will be some knowledge-based assessments that may be taken at alternative venues or remotely. 

The specific requirements will depend on the apprenticeship Standard your apprentice is registered on. Please see the EPA Handbook for the relevant Standard for details on assessment venue requirements or contact the team on 015 494 2072 or enquiries@openawards.org.uk to talk to a member of the team. 

Once your apprentices are registered with us for end-point assessments, you will be able to provisionally schedule assessments through our secure Portal. Assessment dates won't be confirmed until gateway checks are completed and all stakeholders have confirmed that the apprentice is ready for assessment. 

Apprenticeship certification will be from the ESFA once Open Awards has confirmed apprenticeship completion. Open Awards will provide a record of component achievement for all assessment components taken as part of the End-point Assessment process.